[Lcdproc] Hbar missing pixel [was: newbie question]

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 07:03:39 UTC 2009

On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 1:26 AM, Markus Dolze <bsdfan at nurfuerspam.de> wrote:
> Ethan Dicks wrote:
>> It really should be either 7 or 8, not 8 _then_ 7.  Mixed heights
>> _should_ be considered a bug.
>
> I agree with that.

>> Sounds like an issue to tack onto future discussions of the next
>> incarnation of the client-server protocol - allow the clients to
>> optionally ask for "full height" or "align with the baseline of the
>> font" hbars.
>
> I don't agree here. The way things are displayed is controlled by the server
> and there it should stay (the controllable backlight is already an
> exception).

OK.  Fair enough.  Since there's been some issue raised in the 2006
message with LCD module limitations and the three uses of "solid
block", should it be selectable within LCDd.conf?  Since some hardware
will have problems with the 'seven line' hbar and some will not (not
to mention those modules with character cell spacing on the glass vs
those that can do "seamless" bars), it doesn't seem viable to force
drivers into one height versus another.  As a driver
writer/maintainer, if the recommendation is to support both and check
LCDd.conf, I don't see that as too difficult to support, but my own
preference is for full-height bars.

-ethan