[Lcdproc] Increasing the server's receive buffer

Markus Dolze bsdfan at nurfuerspam.de
Sat Feb 28 08:17:51 UTC 2009

Hi,

if LCDd is used with large displays (40x4) it may happen that the
server's receive buffer is too small and the client gets disconnected.
The disconnect is triggered if the client sends 7K. This is likely to
occur during initial creation of screens by the client if the client
sets up several screens.

Our lcdproc client is sometimes struck by this if you use a 40x4 display
and the 'L' screen in addition to the default lcdproc.conf. I wrote
"sometimes" because it depends on how fast LCDd reads out the buffer. I
was not able to reproduce this with the curses driver (server reads
about 4K), but it happened everytime I use the hd44780-lcd2usb (server
reads about 8K).

Updates of a single screen are < 1K most times.

I suggest on of these options:
1. Increase the server's receive buffer to 16K
2. Slow down the client's initial screen setup.

Any objections against 1?

Regards
Markus