[Lcdproc] lcdproc on OSX presents random block characters (all on)

Markus Dolze bsdfan at nurfuerspam.de
Sat Feb 21 19:42:17 UTC 2009

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Sat, 21 Feb 2009 14:19:50 -0500
> Von: brian jackson <moridin1138 at gmail.com>
> An: Ethan Dicks <ethan.dicks at gmail.com>, lcdproc at lists.omnipotent.net
> Betreff: Re: [Lcdproc] lcdproc on OSX presents random block characters (all	on)

> I am using the latest tarball from http://lcdproc.sourceforge.net/nightly/
>
> I installed it again just to be sure, and the same thing is happening
> as in the original video I posted; random all on characters.
>
> ./LCDd -f
> LCDd version 0.5dev starting
> Using Configuration File: /usr/local/etc/LCDd.conf
> LCDd 0.5dev, LCDproc Protocol 0.3
>
> brian$ /usr/local/bin/lcdproc -v
> LCDproc 0.5dev
>

> On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 3:58 AM, Ethan Dicks <ethan.dicks at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 7:07 PM, brian jackson <moridin1138 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >> This is my first post after much searching and tinkering. I hope
> >> someone can help!
> >>
> >> I have an LCD2041 rev 1.3 that I have used flawlessly on Windows for a
> >> long time. Unfortunately I have not been able to get it to work on OSX
> >> with LCDproc . Initially it was because I was using /dev/tty.serial1
> >> as the device, but now with it using /dev/cu.serial1 instead it
> >> works... sort of.
> >>
> >> I get random block characters or heartbeat characters when it's
> >> running. They show up in random places, and generally make it
> >> unusable. lcdproc issue perhaps?
> >> When using 'screen /dev/cu.serial1 19200' everything shows up fine, as
> >> in I can type as usual, clear the screen, etc.
> >
> > What version of LCDproc are you running?  If you are running 0.5.2,
> > there is a well known and long-fixed bug with MtxOrb displays.  You
> > will need a somewhat recent build from source (anything less than a
> > year old will probably do).

Hi,

I am not sure if the nightly tarballs work again (they have been broken since September), but there have been no changes to the MtxOrb driver anyway.

Depending on your firmware version it may not support the adjustable backlight like my LCD2025. You may try the attached patch to see if your display is affected (this patch actually disables the adjustable backlight and restores previous behaviour).

@Ethan: As you already mentioned this feature is not detectable by software and that you have an idea how to solve this. Did you made any advance?

Regards,
Markus