[Lcdproc] usb numeric keypad as input ?

Bernhard Walle bernhard.walle@gmx.de
Sat Jul 28 14:52:01 2007

* Peter Marschall <peter@adpm.de> [2007-07-28 16:30]:
> Hi Guillaume,
>
> On Saturday, 14. July 2007 11:07, Guillaume Membré wrote:
> > I have a nslu2 which is a arm based computer with no parralel port and
> > 2 usb port.
> > My LCD is a HD44780 which no input key. I'm planning to use it with
> > lcd2usb. I would like to know if it is possible to have a numeric keypad
> > connected via usb that can be used as a input ? The application I used
> > (wxsmps) need 6 keys in order to work properly.
>
> Yes, this is possible.
> LCDd, the server component has the concept of drivers for
> displays and input devices. Input will be taken from any driver.
>
> Now, after the good news, the not-so-good ones:
> - I am currently not aware of any USB hardware with 6 or more keys
>   (except full-blown keyboards).

The ULA200 device from ELV can be used to connect a HD44780 display
(max. 20x4) and has 6 input key connectors.

> - I do not know whether the slug supports all kind of devices on
>   its 2 USB ports.

It does. That are two USB 2.0 keyboards. You can also use USB hubs.
But then you should use the Debian firmware with a 2.6 kernel that has
a much better USB implementation than the 2.4 kernel of unlung.

       Bernhard