[Lcdproc] Migration of lcd2usb display from Linux to MacOSX 10.4 not going smoothly

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks@gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 21:04:01 2007

OK... I have the MacBook here, have a tool chain, and the lcdproc
nightly from a day or two ago... I fetched libusb from sourceforge and
compiled it.  Checking the ./configure output from lcdproc looks
normal (it did see libusb stuff in /usr/local, which is where it is by
default)...  LCDd works fine with the curses driver, but not so well
with the libusb driver.

I've never seen LCDd throw these errors on startup before...

hd_init_lcd2usb: setting contrast failed

and then when it's rendering things, I see a number of "double-struck"
chars, as in...

## Weeater KMSSS20:53 UTC #########
Temp 330C(14C Dew)
Windd7km/h, Souuhwesttt
Visibbilty 9 Statue Miles

then killing and re-running the client (*not* LCDd) and seeing...

## Weather KMSN 20:533 UC ##########
TTTem30C ((14CDDw)))
Winnn7km/h, SSSohhwestt
Viisibiltyi9 StatuteeMMies

So has anyone seen similar behavior under any circumstances?  This is
with lcdproc-CVS-current-20070723 nightly build, libusb 0.1.12 stable
from sourceforge, MacOS X 10.4 Darwin, and the gcc 4.0.1 toolchain
from the "Tiger" install disks on a newly-installed MacBook Pro (15"
LCD, Intel dual-core 2.2GHz, 2GB RAM and all sorts of other default
hardware options).

This 40x4 display and cable work perfectly with multiple Intel RedHat
boxes and various builds of libusb and LCDproc over the past few
weeks, so I don't think it's my hardware.  Since I don't have "legacy"
ports on modern hardware, it's getting hard to test LCDd performace
across multiple displays anymore, one reason for using this lcd2usb
adapter and trying to get it working with MacOS X.

Thanks for any suggestions,

-ethan