[lcdproc] [Fwd: [lcdproc] "named pipe" is different from /dev/lcdkernel code. :-)]

William W. Ferrell wwf@frontierdev.com
Thu, 22 Mar 2001 08:51:44 -0700

--hoZxPH4CaxYzWscb

--- linux@chello.at's mailer spewed these beefy chunks ---
> "William W. Ferrell" wrote:
> >=20
> > --- linux@chello.at's mailer spewed these beefy chunks ---

> > > I think davids idea is a nice path to solve the problem.
> > > the driver is a stand alone program which reads from the pipe and
> > > does the necessary stuff to control the hardware.
> > > mtxorb is simply "forwarding" to /dev/ttySx, pp drivers etc can
> > > use appropriate ioctls to control necessary_stuff(tm).
> > >
> > > another bonus is lcdd doesnt have to care about the driver, if usb
> > > things happen after starting lcdd who cares.
> > >
> > > another question, im not a fan of winblowsyourpcup(c) but does it
> > > support
> > > pipes? but who wants to hook a lcd up to the pc and uses windoofs :)))
> >=20
> > The folks using Todd Porter's port of LCDproc for NT :)
> >=20
>=20
> sorry :)

No worries. It's just another market to expand into before somebody who
actually wants money for his code decides to build something for 'doze
that competes with us :)

> > Okay okay I know I just mailed out that I don't wanna do the named
> > pipes, but this brings up good points. Okay fine I'm sold.
> >=20
> > Told 'ya I'm easily persuaded :)
> >=20
> > Okay then, how do we do named pipes on Windoze?
>=20
> hmm...

Cygwin is seriously one way to manage that (I *think*).

> > Or should we just support both dynamic loadables and named pipes?
>=20
> i think both ways are okay, i don't know how to implement pipes in win,
> but implementing both is overkill, isn't it?

It's overkill unless it's the only way to do it in Windoze. Of course,
that could just mean a pile of #IFDEF's (if we're in Windoze, do dynamic
loadables, if we're in anything else, do named pipes).

--
William W. Ferrell, Senior System Administrator, Global Crossing Ltd.
950 17th St Ste 2200, Denver, CO 80202   1.303.223.0564

Public key available:
  gpg --keyserver certserver.pgp.com --recv-key 7478FC7A

-- Albert Einstein

--hoZxPH4CaxYzWscb

--hoZxPH4CaxYzWscb