[lcdproc] display connecting

Joris Robijn joris@robijn.net
Wed, 21 Mar 2001 14:18:02 +0100

Now that we're discussing the connection from LCDd to driver anyway,
let me introduce an other idea. We could use the net-interface to bind
displays and keypads (or a combination of these). This has the
advantage that it can be done very dynamically.

If I don't have a keypad on my LCD, I can use a little program named
'lcdkeys' for example to use any PC-keyboard as input. The program then
connects to LCDd, says it is a keypad, and transmits the keypresses as
I press the keys. When I press Q the program disconnects and ends.

If I want to make a GIF of your display, a program (say lcdtogif)
connects to the net interface, and says it's a display with a flexible
size that should display the same contents as the existing display. The
new 'display-driver' will then get updated for the first time, and it
can produce a picture of the display as I wanted. Then it disconnects.

I don't know if this communication would be usefull as the default
driver-communication. It introduces even more separate programs, which
is probably not desirable. But it might be a nice extension for later
(v0.52 or so).

Joris

--
 Joris Robijn <joris@robijn.net>