[lcdproc] XML discussion

Matt madmatt@bits.bris.ac.uk
Tue, 29 Aug 2000 14:54:46 +0100 (BST)

Harald Klein wrote:

| Matt wrote:
| >
| > I've seen the hack where you solder a couple of wires onto a DIMM...but
| > short of that, I'm not sure. It's only two wires AFAIK, so a small 2-pin
| > header on the mobo would do it, but I can't distinguish between that and
| > what should have a jumper on it! :)
|
| On all gigabytes i have(/had) there is a 4 pin connector beside the wake
| on lan connector.

Ah, 4 pins eh? Maybe I got it wrong... :)

| The problem is you can't hook a i2c device up to the smbus imho.
| I tried it but no success.

Mmm, the smbus just implements a subset of the i2c protocol, as you said.

I think you can make an i2c adapter for the parallel port, and then attach
devices that way. I think there's a driver for such a thing in the kernel
somewhere, possibly in the Video4Linux area, although I have no idea what
the pin-outs might be.

Does Matrix Orbital have any install instructions for sticking the
display onto an i2c bus?

I suppose it shouldn't really matter how the display is hooked up, as it
should just use standard i2c system calls no matter if it's on the
parallel port or tacked onto a DIMM...we can write the support easily if
we're sure how it all works.

Matt