[lcdproc] XML discussion

Mooneer Salem mooneer@earthlink.net
Thu, 24 Aug 2000 12:39:26 -0700

Not good for embedded systems, that's for sure.

As far as I know, libhtmlparse uses approximately
(document_size+1)k RAM. If the config files are small,
the increased memory usage probably wouldn't be an issue.

-----Original Message-----
From: Mindaugas Idzelis [mailto:mai3116@ritvax.isc.rit.edu]
Sent: Thursday, August 24, 2000 12:06 PM
To: lcdproc@lists.omnipotent.net
Subject: Re: [lcdproc] XML discussion

I took a look at the htmlparse code. Its not the cleanest code, but it may
work.
My biggest issue is to make sure anything I use will compile under cygwin.
(the
posix emulation layer for windows). libxml is a very nice library, clean and
easy to use. Unfortunately, I just tried to compile it under cygwin and it
failed. They have win32 binary DLL available for it. I think I can get
cygwin to
directly link into native windows DLL's, but i'll have to look into it. I'd
rather have something that can cross-compile. Another drawback is that
compressed libxml is 1 meg, uncompressed its 7megs, and the object code +
source
code is 14 megs. libxml is pretty big, don't ask me why! (not too mention
that
is uses lots of RAM during DOM-tree generation, or so i gather from the
docs)

depending if I can get cygwin to link to the native library libxml32 while
at
the same time getting *nix to link to libxml, i'll use libxml... if i can't,
i'll have to write my own simple xml library.

http://www2.software.ibm.com/developer/tools.nsf/dw/xml-parsing-byname?OpenD