[lcdproc] LCDproc survey
Mon, 14 Aug 2000 10:34:39 -0400
To help developers gain a better understanding of what you, the
community want from this excellent piece of software I'm asking you to
fill out a survey. Really think about these questions, as I, for one,
will be listening to what everyone has to say. At the end of this week,
i'll make a web page and post the results along with your comments.
Return to firstname.lastname@example.org by Sun, Aug 20, 2000
1. Prioritize the following design criteria from lowest to highest
Embeddability (can be used in embedded system)
2. Comment on these Feature requests... what priority we should give it,
strike it, add more?
Arbitrary sized displays
Virtual displays (think virtual desktops)
Non-socket support (unix sockets?)
Multi-threaded vs. Single Threaded
Pros: Simpler to program to understand and maintain
Cons: CPU usage starts going up higher and higher after 20+
thread pool, (where there are a maximum amount of threads specified
but they all distribute the client load among them)
Pros: Best way to scale the program
Cons: much harder to understand than just thread-per-client or
Pros in general:
easier to program, understand
Cons in general:
needs pthreads... but most posix systems support it (*bsd,
Dynamic driver loading
Named pipe support, programs can send commands to /dev/lcd
(add your own)
3. What clients do you use right now?
4. What hardware do you use with lcdproc right now?
5. What do you really really really want done in the next release that
is just annoying the crap outta ya?
6. Are you interested in helping with the development of clients or
7. Other comments?
To unsubscribe from this list send a blank message to